CMTTP Database Requirements for Annual Data Submission
Under CMTTP guidelines, you are required to electronically submit your tagging data every year as an Excel spreadsheet. Data for each observation of each turtle should be in a single row.
At a minimum, this spreadsheet should include the following columns in Excel:
- Project type – nesting beach; tangle net; trawl net; pound net; hand catch; stranding; if other, then describe. If all of your turtle captures are from one project type, just tell us that in the Project Data described on the next page. If you have a mixture of types in your database, include a column that assigns each turtle to a given project type.
- Date Captured (see recommended date formats below)
- Date Released (if different from capture date)
- Date Measured (if different from capture date)
- Is this a recapture? (Yes or No)
- Flipper tags applied to the turtle. Make a separate column for each flipper.
- Flipper tags already on the turtle. Make a separate column for each flipper.
- PIT tags applied to the turtle. Put each tag into a separate column & state location of tag.
- PIT tags already in the turtle. Put each tag into a separate column & state location of tag.
- Facility where turtle was held, if applicable.
- Describe capture location. Be specific, include county and latitude/longitude if available. (Please give the format for latitude and longitude, see below)
- Describe release location, if different from capture location. Be specific, include county and latitude/longitude if available. (Please give the format for latitude and longitude, see below)
- Measurements: Submit all of the measurements you record. Please make it clear which carapace length or width you measure and give the units for the measurements)
- Straight Carapace Length notch to notch
- Straight Carapace Length notch to tip
- Straight Carapace Width
- Curved Carapace Length notch to notch
- Curved Carapace Length notch to tip
- Curved Carapace Width
- Comments: Any additional remarks in a separate comment field.
Additional Project Data provided in separate Word file
Along with the annual tagging data in the Excel file, we ask that you provide the following information for your program each year:
- Name of organization tagging and/or releasing turtles. Include area code/telephone number, and email.
- What format do you use for dates? For example, is it
- 21-Jul-2012 (this is the format CMTTP uses to avoid day/month confusion)
- Another format?
- Are straight carapace and curved carapace measurements recorded in centimeters or in inches? Include decimal point.
- Are weight measurements recorded in kg or lbs? Include decimal point.
- Are latitude and longitude recorded in:
- Decimal degrees (this is the format CMTTP uses to facilitate GIS analyses; use negative sign for latitudes south of the Equator and for longitudes west of Greenwich Meridian)
- Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
- Degrees, Minutes
- Please explain the format and include decimal point as appropriate.
Please submit the Excel data file and project data to: ACCSTR@ufl.edu
If you have any questions, please contact Peter Eliazar (Eliazar@ufl.edu)